Built on the estate of local landowners the Selwyn family, this street was named after one of the small properties built on Marshgate (now Sheen) Road sometime around 1830. By 1841 it was being called Alton Cottage and later the slightly grander Alton Lodge. In 1886 it gave its name to Alton Road. Although there is no official record of why the name was used, there was an Alton House in Roehampton (which later gave its name to the council estate) so may have been inspired from there.
142 total views, 1 views today