Commemorating the school established by Nicholas Gibson, Prime Warden of the Grocers’ Company 1536 – 1537 and Sheriff of London for 1538 – 1539. The Nicholas Gibson Free School, which taught up to 60 boys, 30 of which paid, was opened on this road in 1536. On Gibson’s death four years later he left his estate to his widow, Avice, on condition that she endowed the foundation. When she died 14 years later, Lady Avice as she had become having married Sir Anthony Knyvett, left the Coopers’ Company as trustees. The school remained there until 1892 when it moved to premises in Tredegar Square, Mile End, then to Upminster.
76 total views, 1 views today