In 1933 developer E O’Sullivan opened the The Blue Lagoon lido, off Cray Avenue. This privately operated open air swimming pool was to be the first part of a residential garden estate, complete with leisure facilities. The pool became a popular day-trip destination for Londoners, coming down by train, using combined “rail-swim” tickets. Apart from the vast pool, there was also a putting course and tennis courts. But when World War Two broke out in 1939, the lido was closed to the public, drained and never reopened. In 1951, The National Time Recorder Company Ltd built a new headquarters and works on the site, it later became warehouses.
72 total views, 1 views today