Named after Sampson Gideon (February 1699 – October 17, 1762), who bought Belvedere House in AD1751, following the death of its owner Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore. Gideon was a Jewish-British banker who was a trusted “adviser of the Government”, and a supporter of the Jewish Naturalisation Act 1753. His son, also called Sampson, rebuilt the house in AD1764 and he became Baron Eardley of Spalding in AD1789. The Eardley Arms, which still exists in Belvedere today, commemorates the family and the influence they had on the district.
25 total views, 1 views today