Named after Thomas Brushfield (February 16, 1798 – September 1875) originally from Derbyshire, he moved to London where he established himself as a paint manufacturer, in Union Street, Spitalfields. He later became chairman of the Commercial Gas Company which served much of East London. He became chairman of the Whitechapel Board of Guardians, member of the vestry and from 1865 until his death was the representative of the Whitechapel District Board on the Metropolitan Board of Works. Part of Union Street was renamed Brushfield Street in 1870 in his honour.
9 total views, 1 views today