This was laid out on Yester Park, a four acre plot of the much larger estate Camden Estate, which had been broken up after developer Nathaniel William John Strode. It was home to Lord Arthur Hay, who from 1862 became Viscount Walden, and four years later Marquess of Tweeddale. He named it after his Scottish property Yester House, which had been the family seat from the 15thCentury. He died in 1878. As for the name, Yester it is a corruption of the Celtic name Yestred, meaning strath or dale.