Originally Albion Road and George Street. It changed sometime in the 1930s as part of tidying up of street names to avoid duplication and confusion as the urbanisation spread. The church in question is St Mary Magdalene, a site of worship for more than 1000 years. The present church was consecrated on May 9, 1740, after the first, much smaller church began to suffer from structural problems. The name Woolwich itself comes from the Old English words wull and wic meaning the wool harbour. This port was first recorded as Uuluuich in AD918. In AD964 it was Wulleuic and in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Hulviz but as 1227 became Wulewic.
9 total views, 1 views today