Literal, this road encircles Highgate Wood a 28 hectare area of ancient woodland lying between East Finchley, Highgate and Muswell Hill. It was originally part of the ancient Forest of Middlesex which covered much of London, Hertfordshire and Essex and was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. This was originally a track that went around the northern edge of Gravelpit Wood, which was later renamed Highgate Wood. During the 1880s the sale of parkland led to residential development.
199 total views, 1 views today