Directional. Woodford appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Wdefort, having previously been recorded as Wudeford four years before the Norman invasion. As the name implies it means a river crossing point in or by the wood. The ford refers to a crossing of the River Roding. It was Wudeforde by 1225 and with a bridge replacing the ford sometime before 1238 some of the district was renamed Ponte de Woodford by 1285 and Woodfordbrigge in 1429.
128 total views, 1 views today