Part of the A1400. Woodford appears in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Wdefort, having previously been recorded before the Norman Conquest as Wudeford in 1062. As the name implies it means a river crossing point in or by the wood. The ford refers to a crossing of the River Roding. It was Wudeforde by 1225 and with a bridge replacing the ford sometime before 1238 some of the district was renamed Ponte de Woodford by 1285 and Woodfordbrigge in 1429. Most of the area was developed between the wars following the construction of Eastern Avenue in 1925. The street itself was laid out on land that until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16thCentury had belonged to Barking Abbey.
187 total views, 1 views today