This is the A1400 and part of the North Circular. Woodford appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Wdefort, having previously been recorded four years before the Norman Conquest as Wudeford in 1062. As the name implies it means a river crossing point in or by the wood from the Old English words wudu and ford. The ford refers to a crossing of the River Roding. It was Wudeforde by 1225 and in 1238, the same year that a Thomas de Ponte de Wodeford is mentioned in records, a bridge replaced the ford (pont is still used in modern day Welsh meaning bridge). Some of the district was renamed Ponte de Woodford by 1285 and Woodfordbrigge in 1429.
106 total views, 1 views today