Prior to development, the Manor House area was part of the Stoke Newington Manor estate, forming part of its demesne lands (land that was for the use of the lord of the manor). In the 17thCentury, it was known as Berrie Down Wood and by the following century as Wood Berry Downs Meadow. The name Manor House never existed until an early 19thCentury pub, previously called the Manor Tavern, changed its name in 1931. The actual manor house was near the old church, but most of the area north of Church Street once belonged to the manorial demesne.
70 total views, 1 views today