Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram (January 26, 1858 – May 26, 1946) was the Bishop of London from 1901 to 1939 who sold off the church lands, including Bishop’s Wood, over which this street was laid out in the early part of the 20thCentury. During the First World War, Winnington-Ingram was one of the leading critics of Germany seeing it as a “great crusade to defend the weak against the strong”. However, not all appreciated his fervour, especially since he accepted the anti-German propaganda without question and the language he used very often verged on xenophobia. Herbert Asquith, Prime Minister at the outbreak of the war, described his tone as “jingoism of the shallowest kind”. He was chaplain from 1901 to the London Rifle Brigade and London Royal Naval Volunteers, and visited the troops on both the Western Front and at Salonika, and the Grand Fleet at Rosyth and Scapa Flow. He also spoke in aid of recruiting drives and later in the war urged his younger clergy to consider enlisting as combatants. There are several nearby roads named after him: Ingram Avenue, Ingram Road, and Winnington Avenue.
26 total views, 1 views today