Named in honour of the wartime monarch Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands. Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria (August 31, 1880 – November 28, 1962) was queen from 1890 until her abdication through illness in 1948. She was best known for her role in World War Two, in which she proved to be a great inspiration to the Dutch resistance, from her exile to the UK. It is part of the area known as The Dutch Village which as well as this road includes The Netherlands and Woodplace Lane. It is so-called because the first part of the estate was designed and built during the 1920s to 1930s by a Dutch firm who used Dutch workers and materials. It was described by its Dutch architect Wouter Hamdorff as a “modern Dutch garden village”. Construction stopped in 1937 and the remaining section of the estate and its buildings designed and completed after World War Two by a different architect and building firm.
245 total views, 1 views today