Whipps Cross is a mutation of the area’s 16thCentury name, Phyppys Crosse, which was first recorded in 1517 and is associated with John Phyppes. According to local records, the connection between John Phyppe’s family and the area goes back to the late 14thCentury. In 1537 the area was recorded as Fypps Chrosse, in 1572 as Phippes Cross and only became Whipps Cross in 1636. The story that people caught poaching from nearby parts of Epping Forest were formerly whipped all the way from here to Walthamstow or that there was whipping post here is a myth.
79 total views, 1 views today