In 1550 Edward VI passed his newly acquired manor of Stepney to Thomas, Lord Wentworth (1501 – March 3, 1551), a distant cousin on his mother, Jane Seymour’s side, and the Lord Chancellor. The manor had been ceded to the Crown from the church by Bishop Ridley, the then Bishop of London. When Wentworth died the following year the title and the manor passed to his son also called Thomas, who was Earl of Cleveland. He in turn sold part of it in 1640 to Henry Montague, Earl of Manchester, the rest of Stepney manor continued to be held by the Wentworth family until 1720.
117 total views, 1 views today