Takes its name from the nearby Sydenham Wells Park. The park is laid out on the site of mineral springs that were discovered in the 17thCentury, becoming a popular spa whose visitors included King George III. The spa’s success led to the building of larger houses, and wealthy people began to settle in the area. The park’s fate was by no means certain. By the late 19thCentury developers had begun encroaching on the green and Ormanton Road was continued through to Wells Road (now Wells Park Road). A public campaign to save the land from being built over by housing development succeeded and the park was opened to the public in 1901.
128 total views, 1 views today