- Like neighbouring Medcalf Road, it take its name from the owners of the Greyhound pub in Ordnance Road. Warwick was the maiden name of Romford-born Caroline Medcalf, wife of Benjamin Medcalf, who owned the land when the two roads were laid out in 1861. By 1865 both were lined with terraces. Within three years Mr Medcalf was dead. His widow was recorded as still at the Greyhound in 1874 but within four years it had been taken over by William Cundall. The properties, which housed employees at the Royal Small Arms factory, were reported as having drainage problems on account of them being so low-lying. It has previously been believed that the road was named after Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, known as The Kingmaker, who was slain at the Battle of Barnet in 1471.
11 total views, 1 views today