Originally Charles Street. This was laid out over the former gardens of the Earl of Bridgewater’s residence, Bridgewater House, which was destroyed by fire in 1687. Tragically two of the Earl’s son Charles Egerton, Viscount Brackley (May 7, 1675 – April 1687), and his eight-year-old brother Thomas Egerton (August 15, 1679 – April 1687) were burned alive in the conflagration. They was buried on April 14 at Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire. This street and nearby Brackley Street were named after 11-year-old Charles. This street was relaid in the 1890s.
126 total views, 1 views today