The Worshipful Company of Vintners’ Hall is adjacent. Wine merchants from France settled near Queenhithe in the 10thCentury and the area quickly became known as The Vintry. The Company was the 11th of the Guilds to be founded. In 1446 it was left land on the present Upper Thames Street where it built its second hall. That was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 but rebuilt in 1671. This path was previously called Anchor Alley.
332 total views, 1 views today