Originally called Manor Way this was named after the Vinson family of landowners who owned the Mayfield estate where they grew hops and soft fruits at the end of the 19thCentury. William Vinson was by 1887 a local magistrate and chairman of the parish who married Mary Nash, the daughter of the owner of the St Pauls Cray Paper Mill. The family later had the Walnuts mansion built opposite the estate for their son, also called William. It was named for the two nearby avenues of walnut trees. William Vinson senior died in 1905 leaving the estate to his wife, who began breaking it up before she died in 1927, aged 90.
239 total views, 1 views today