The Valentines estate, now called Valentines Park, was first mentioned in a deed dated 1665. However, there is evidence that there was a substantial property in the area long before this, whose medieval or early modern occupant is likely to have given their name to the estate, although who they were has been lost. What we do know is that the house that stands today was built for Elizabeth Tillotson, widow of an archbishop of Canterbury, in 1696. The estate was bought from the Ingleby family by Ilford Council in 1912, and this street was laid out on its former land during the early part of the 20thCentury. Since then, the mansion has been home to wartime refugees, a hospital, a public health centre, and a council housing department. It is now the property of Redbridge Council.
63 total views, 1 views today