John Tylney, later Earl Tylney, bought Stratford and Hamfrith, part of the old West Ham Manor in 1734. It was passed through the family with the addition of the neighbouring manor of Wanstead, sometimes styled the manor of Stratford, until the end of the 18th century. By 1805 it was the property of his granddaughter Catherine Tylney-Long whose vast wealth saw her toasted as The Wiltshire Heiress, and who was believed to be the richest commoner in England. She married badly however. Her first husband, William Long-Wellesley who later added Pole-Tylney to his name, was a notorious scoundrel who squandered her inheritance and was responsible for the demolition of Wanstead House, the proceeds of which covered only some of his enormous debts.
149 total views, 2 views today