It was first mentioned in 1427 and as Tokestrete in 1441 probably after a resident named Tokey or Tuckey although the exact meaning has been lost. By 1572 it was the site of a hamlet of ten houses. By 1610 it was Tuckhey strete and in 1695 it was written as Tuttle Street on Morden’s Map of Middlesex. It was Tuckey Street on Cary’s Map of Middlesex in 1789. As the decades passed it was corrupted still further until in 1805 it became Turkey Street. This is near the Roman road of Ermine Street, the main route from London to Lincoln and onto York.
123 total views, 1 views today