This street, like many others in the surrounding area, owes its name to the medieval Hainault Forest, which for centuries served as a royal hunting ground, both for pleasure and profit. Developers named streets in the area after the types of vegetation that could be found in the forest before building work began. In this case a tufter, which is a dense clump, especially of trees or bushes. This street was laid out during the 20thCentury on former woodland which after the deforestation of Hainault in 1851 converted to farmland, before its development for housing.
82 total views, 1 views today