Named after the tram lines that led to the depot located here until the start of the 20thCentury. Trams first came to East London in 1871, with a horse-drawn line running from Aldgate to Stratford, providing cheap transport for City workers. The Manor Park to Stratford route – one of the most significant in the network – was added in 1886, after the completion of the Woodgrange estate, and other similar late-Victorian developments in the area. In 1935 London Transport began to replace trams with trolley and motor buses, across the whole city. As a consequence, by 1937, trams had disappeared from all local routes, except those that continued to run to Aldgate.
109 total views, 1 views today