Named after the Second World War US fighter plane that was used by the RAF and other allied forces. It first saw action in the North Africa campaign but was later relegated to reconnaissance missions as the Spitfire proved to be a better aircraft. This road and others in the vicinity are named after aviators and aircraft in a nod to the nearby RAF Northholt. In fact the airfield predates the establishment of the Royal Air Force by almost three years, having opened as an aerodrome in May 1915, making it the oldest RAF base. Originally established for the Royal Flying Corps, it has the longest history of continuous use of any RAF airfield. The station played a key role during the Battle of Britain, when fighters from several of its units, including No 303 Polish Fighter Squadron, engaged enemy aircraft as part of the defence of London.
7 total views, 1 views today