The Cottenham Park estate was sold for development sometime 1850, but housebuilding in the area was sporadic and it took a while for the area to take off. That happened in a short burst of eight years between 1898 and 1905 when William Louis Peters, from Cornwall, submitted plans for several new roads which he named after places in his home county. These included Trewince Road, Rosevine Road, Kenwyn Road and Pendarves Road. Today they make up nearly all the conservation area. Tolverne is on the Roseland Peninsula, according to A Glossary of Cornish Names it means: “The foreigner’s hole or high place or oven’s mouth.” Since the cottage it was named after was used for smuggling this may have been quite literal.