One of four streets named after West Country places which were approved as part of the Queensbury Estate development by the Highways and Cleansing Committee of Harrow District Council on October 5, 1937. The name of the Devon town of Tiverton is thought to mean the town on two fords. The other street names passed at the same meeting were: Coombe Close, St Austell Close, and Teignmouth Close. The estate itself was so named after a newspaper competition, with the winning entry, Queensbury, being a (highly unoriginal) reference to the nearby Kingsbury. Between 1915 and 1933 the land had been home to Stag Lane Aerodrome which was a private airfield originally owned by the London and Provincial flying school but from 1920 leased by Geoffrey de Havilland who established his aircraft manufacturing company, by the 1930s the firm had moved to Hatfield in Hertfordshire.