Tintern Abbey, near the village of Tintern in Monmouthshire, was founded in 1131 by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow. It was the first abbey of the Cistercian order to be founded in Wales, and only the second in Britain. It takes its name from the village of Tintern, which is known to have been inhabited since at least Roman times. The name is believed to be of Celtic origin, and may derive from the Welsh words din and d/teyrn meaning King’s fortress. The abbey fell into ruin after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1530s. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
176 total views, 1 views today