Tickford Priory was a medieval monastic house in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, which was established in 1140 by Fulconius Paganel, the lord of the manor. The priory was a cell of the Cluniac Order, from Marmoutier Abbey in Tours, France. It was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1525, as an alien institution and both the buildings and land were given to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey who annexed “the superfluous house of Tickford”. This street like many of the surrounding ones is named after a religious house, in a reference to the ruins of the nearby Lesnes Abbey.
93 total views, 1 views today