Named after the former Throwley Priory, in Faversham, Kent, which was a Benedictine monastery, run by the Abbey of Saint Bertin in Saint-Omer, France, in the early 12thCentury. It was dissolved as part of Henry IV’s suppression of alien (French) priories in 1414 after his claim to the French throne led to war. It was granted to Thomas Beaufort, the half-brother of the king’s father. Beaufort gave Throwley to Syon Abbey on July 13, 1424. The site was later used for the parsonage. English Heritage say that no remains are visible. This street like many of the surrounding ones are named after former religious houses in reference to the nearby Lesnes Abbey.
14 total views, 1 views today