Place name London’s narrowest alleyway, a mere 67cm (26.5in) at its narrowest point, it appears on John Rocque’s 1746 map…
Place name London’s narrowest alleyway, a mere 67cm (26.5in) at its narrowest point, it appears on John Rocque’s 1746 map…
Place Name Literal it leads up Crouch Hill. Originally Upper Hornsey Rise between 1853 and 1936, presumably changed as part…
Place Name Originally part of East Barnet Road. The present name was in use by 1874, a local farmer called…
Place Name Directional. Originally Yeading Road. Yeading is very early Saxon and was originally Geddingas or Geddinges, meaning the people…
Place Name Previously called Edgecombe Road as part of an alphabetical sequence – Aylmer Road, Barfield Road, Carlton Road, Dacre…
Place Name Formerly Granville Place. Eleanor Gwyn (February 2, 1650 – November 14, 1687) more popularly known to history as Nell…
Place Name Originally Charles Street the name was changed by the London County Council in 1938. This was laid out…
Place Name John Lofting (1659 – June 15, 1742), originally Jan Loftingh, was a highly inventive engineer and entrepreneur from…
Place Name This was originally Hat And Tun Yard, after public house still standing on the corner, whose signboard was…
Place Name Originally Potters Lane. The First Boer War ended in 1881, this name was introduced within two years, to…