The White Swan was a large public house on Holloway Road which had a big yard, that was broken up when the North London Railway cut it in two. By the 1840s, Islington’s population was mainly poor, with many people living in overcrowded and decaying courts and yards off the main roads. By 1848 some of the houses in Swan Yard had become filthy lodging houses for tramps, with the cellars used for sleeping and nothing had changed five years later. The White Swan was demolished in 1960.
34 total views, 1 views today