Named after the River Sutlej in commemoration of the Battle of Aliwal fought on January 28, 1846 in the First Anglo-Sikh War between the Sikh Empire and the East India Company in 1845 and 1846. The British, led by Sir Harry Smith, were able to out-flank the Sikh forces which were under the command of Ranjodh Singh Majithia, capturing the village of Aliwal. The Sikh troops began to withdraw under heavy artillery fire but their retreat turned into a rout as they struggled to cross the River Sutlej, leaving behind their own big guns. The victory is sometimes regarded as a turning point in the war. Many streets were named by patriotic developers following major British victories across the Empire.
162 total views, 1 views today