After a palatial mansion called the Manor of the Rose originally built for the Lord Mayor Sir John Pountney in the 14thCentury. It was bought by William de la Pole, who was created Duke of Suffolk in 1448 in recognition of his service during the Hundred Years War. In 1560 it was sold under the ownership of the 1st Duke’s grandson to the Merchant Taylors’ Company who converted it into a school which held classes here until 1875 when it moved to new premises in the grounds of Charterhouse. The school moved again in 1935 and now occupies 250 acres in Northwood. It was first called Suffolke Lane in 1581.
22 total views, 2 views today