Named after the local area which means southern manor, possibly a reference to Harrow itself. In the late 13thCentury it was spelt Suthbery in 1292 and Sudbery two years later. Although this was separate to Harrow manor. It is thought that in the Middle Ages this may have been the archbishop of Canterburys’ original residence since it included a chapel. From the late 14thCentury the 620 acres and grange were leased out and afterwards divided into several farms, of which Sudbury Court Farm remained the most important. The farmhouse, which dated from the late 16thCentury, had stood on the north side of Sudbury Court Road until it was knocked down in 1957. This road was originally called Mutton Lane.
21 total views, 1 views today