St Pauls Road, TW9

Place Name

Ironically, given the fact that most street signs that should have an apostrophe, don’t – this street which shouldn’t have an apostrophe on its street sign, does. The name is taken from the former name of the nearby United Reformed (Congregational) Church. St Paul’s Congregational Church, on Raleigh Road, was opened on December 12, 1898 to provide for the religious needs of a rapidly growing new district of Richmond. The only other Congregational church in Richmond was situated in The Vineyard, a mile and a half away. The building was funded mainly by Alderman Sir Charles Burt, a prominent member of The Vineyard Church and a former mayor of Richmond. That building was destroyed in an air raid on October 1, 1940 and the current building was opened on December 8, 1956. In September 1995 it merged with the Kew Road Methodist Church to become the Raleigh Road United Church.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *