Laid out over a network of small alleys in 1870 and named after the nearby St Bride’s Church. The connection with the Irish saint, St Brigid, goes back to the earliest days of Christianity in the British isles. It is thought that in Saxon times Irish monks crossed the water to set up a mission – long before the arrival of St Augustine – and spread the word. They settled on the banks of the River Fleet where they could draw water from a local well, which they dedicated to Saint Brigid of Kildare (circa AD451 – AD525), one of Ireland’s patron saints.
92 total views, 2 views today