This was previously known as Nags Head Lane after the former public house in Enfield Town. However, no doubt influenced by the Temperance movement, the Enfield Local Board of Health renamed it Southbury Road on August 18, 1882 after a local field. Two of the earliest references to which were in 1420 when it was written as Southberyfeld and in 1610 as Southburyfeld. A minority on the board wanted to call it Great Eastern Road. Before the field’s enclosure in 1806 the road existed as two small lanes, one from Ponders End, the other from Enfield Town. The two halves were not linked until after enclosure. The Enfield Town end was usually known as Nags Head Lane but sometimes called Oldbury Lane. The eastern end was known as Farm Lane. In 1572 the western end was called Bury Lane. Southbury Road was widened to take trams in 1909.
80 total views, 1 views today