A description of its shape. According to Camden History Society this was part of a small estate owned by the City of London Corporation between the 17th and 19th centuries, when it was developed by architect George Dance as part of a prestigious building project. On December 20, 1900, The Times reported on the Corporation’s plans to change the layout of the estate when most of its leases expired in 1902. Plans involved abolishing the two crescents South and North Crescent, which were described as “quite out of date,” extending Alfred Place, and widening Alfred Mews. While the plans were approved, for some reason, they were never carried out.