Named after the firm of S W Silver and Co, clothing and insulating manufacturers, which opened a factory near Ham Creek in 1852. They also built a few houses. The company was started by Stephen Winckworth Silver in the 18thCentury, and was originally a Colonial and Army agent, clothiers and outfitters to those in the Army and Colonial Service. Development of the area was slow but as the factory continued to expand, more people moved in to take advantage of the employment on offer.
384 total views, 1 views today