Industrial heritage. This road is named after the former electrical engineering design and manufacturing business which was based here. It was initially intended to be a branch of the German electrical engineering firm Siemens & Halske, to be run by one of the Siemens brothers, Sir William Siemens (1823 – 1883). It was established in October 1858. The firm worked on laying submarine cable for international telegraph, as well as overhead telegraph, telephone and power transmission lines, public and private telephone exchanges and carrier transmission equipment for telephone lines. In 1865 Johann Georg Halske, partner in Siemens & Halske, withdrew from the English branch following failures in the London firm’s work so then it became Siemens Brothers.
84 total views, 1 views today