Our ancestors were not known for their subtlety, and this name was derived from a literal description of the road in question. First recorded in 1560 as Shernwel Street, it comes from the Old English word scearn meaning dung or filth. By 1697 it was spelt as Shernhall Street and in 1777 as Shannal Street. It predates the manor house of Walthamstow Toni, Toni Hall, which was in this street and came to be known as Shern Hall.
133 total views, 1 views today