Sherborne Abbey in the town of Sherborne, Dorset was re-founded as a Benedictine abbey in AD998 by St Wulfsin, having originated as a Saxon cathedral built by St Aldhelm. Needless to say it takes its name from the town in which it is situated, named Scire-burne by its Saxon inhabitants, meaning place at the clear stream, in a reference to a brook that runs through the centre of the town past the abbey. It remained a benedictine house up until its closure, in 1539, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Since then it has been a parish church. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
201 total views, 1 views today