Dr James Sherard (November 1, 1666 – February 12, 1738) was an eminent physician who planted a botanical garden in the grounds of his Eltham property, named Sherard House. After serving as an apprentice to apothecary Charles Watts, curator of Chelsea Physic Garden, he started his own apothecary business becoming very wealthy off the back of it. Winning the patronage of the fabulously wealthy 2nd Duke of Bedford for his music, no doubt helped. He retired to Eltham where he began his collection of rare plants from all over Europe – it soon came to be recognised as one of the finest in England.
8 total views, 1 views today