Directional, the main road leading to Seven Sisters. David Mills in A Dictionary of London Place Names describes it as a “whimsical nickname”. The sisters in question were seven elm trees that stood on the corner of Seven Sisters Road near Page Green. Local legend has it that the trees were planted outside a tavern by seven sisters who were each going their separate ways. They were first mentioned on Rocque’s 1754 Topographical Map of Middlesex as 7 Sesters and as Seven Sisters on the 1805 Ordnance Survey map. The road itself was laid out between 1831 and 1833.
45 total views, 1 views today