Named after the local village of Sanderstead which means literally a sandy place or homestead. Its origins go back to an Anglo-Saxon charter being recorded as Sandenstede circa AD880, the Normans mention it in the Domesday Book as Sandestede in 1086 and by 1221 it was Sanderstede. Sanderstead Court itself was a country house dating from at least the 17thCentury, it was later converted into a hotel and renamed Selsdon Court. But it was destroyed by fire in 1944, and its ruins are Grade II listed. The road itself was quite a way from the house.
142 total views, 1 views today