Named after the Worshipful Company of Salters, founded in 1394, who had their hall here from 1641. Salters were important in the medieval City preserving meat and fish with salt imported from France and brought in via Queenhythe dock. The first 12thCentury hall, the home of London’s first mayor Henry FitzAylwin, was passed upon his death in 1212 to the monks of Tortington Priory, in Sussex. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, the property was acquired by John de Vere, Earl of Oxford, and passed down his family line until it was purchased by the Salters. The hall was razed in the Great Fire of 1666 and its replacement destroyed in the Second World War.
87 total views, 1 views today