Following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537, much of the land held by the Carthusian monks of the Charterhouse fell into secular hands. Among those to grab a slice of the spoils was Sir Edward North (c. 1496 – 1564) who had been appointed treasurer of the court of augmentations, a court created by Henry VIII for dealing with the estates which had been confiscated from the church. He was granted the property in 1545. His son, Roger, Lord North, sold most of it to the Duke of Norfolk a year after his father’s death, keeping only the south east corner for himself. When he died in 1600 the property was sold to the Manners family, earls of Rutland, after whom this street is named.
144 total views, 1 views today